Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Excerpt from Goals Book for Christian Living-September


The Lamp-September

 

 "You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hid. 15 Nor do men light a lamp and put it under a bushel, but on a stand, and it gives light to all in the house. 16 Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven.

Scripture: Matthew 5:14-16 (Luke 8:16-18, Mark 4:21)

 
Let your light shine! Is this a contradiction if we are to be humble and at the same time boast about our “good works”?  No, because we don’t boast about our good works, but we must put ourselves out there so men can “see” our good works!
 
If we have a talent, we must use it. “Whole body” Christianity takes effort. We can’t sit in a darkened room and brood if we are to carry on the Lord’s work. Genius, as they say, is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration. So if we are to fulfill the Lord’s plan for us and for mankind, we must use our lives and put forth the best effort. We cannot go about the act of living in a half-hearted and faint attempt to shield ourselves from pain and suffering.

We must engage in life as a contact sport.  The “light” is our lives and it is also the light of full disclosure. If we live our lives with dark secrets in our souls, we cannot go about the business of our Lord. Full disclosure means that we must, above all, be true to ourselves and not live a lie. We cannot live our lives trying to please others and trying to become someone we don’t know and don’t even want to know or like!

Truth begins with self. Look at yourself in the mirror and critique your strengths and weaknesses. Don’t fudge or lie about what you alone know about yourself. Then go about using your strengths and even your weaknesses to shine a light on what you know you can do well.

Others will know the truth of your life in your works and your deeds. Jesus was not into “phonies” or weak-willed characters.  Strength of character is not something that comes to one overnight. It is a trait to be developed and molded and emulated. You can begin today to shine your light before others that they may know your good works!

 
Father: Teach me to shine my light upon the world. Show me how I may best serve the Lord through my strengths. Help me to overcome my weaknesses and know my true worth as one of God’s servants.  Help me to be honest with myself and others. Help me to know myself.

Show me the way to nurture the best in myself and one day mentor others. Help me to become a role model for others.  Teach me how to use my whole self and learn how to master “Whole-body” Christianity. Amen.

 

Monthly Goals & Reminders

 

· Make a pledge that you will reveal and display your best attributes and strengths.

· Reminder:  At church and in your community, you should do something that you have

       been putting off or have feared.  Don’t hide your light anymore!  You have Jesus’

       permission not to be afraid.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment